HYDE, BURDITT LOSE TO NAVY

Fifty Kibitzers Watch as Jacoby, Menzel Cop Bridge

Lieutenant Commander Howard M. Menzel played Alphonse to Lieutenant Oswald Jacoby's Gaston last night as the two contrived to smother Bunks Burditt and Hugh Hyde in three rubbers of bridge played at PBH before a crowd of some 50 kibitizers.

Menzel and Jacoby dominated practically the entire play and it was only rarely that Hyde and Burditt had a chance to show their playing merits. When they got the chance, the Gold Dust Twins acquitted themselves very well, but after the first hand, which Jacoby played for six no trump, the result was a foregone conclusion. This hand, incidentally, was perhaps the most spectacular played all evening. The three-rubber total was 2220 points for the Navy team.

While all this was going on, Jacoby did his level best to keep the crowd amused. He played appropriate cards at appropriate moments from his pockets, he called the right cards from an interested spectator who played his hand, and interspersed this horse-play with reminiscences from his experiences.

Queried on what he though of bridge during and after the war, Jacoby said that he thought that bridge had no place in the war, but that after the war he though there would be several new figures in the bridge world. Among those whom he expected to rise was Robert McPherran, who is now in the Army, but who, Jacoby claims, will have no equal after the war.