University Has No Facilities to Store Furniture, Council Reveals

Navy, Coop Will Buy Lamps, Easy Chairs

No space can be provided by the University for the storage of student furniture, the Student Council Committee on Furniture announced in a report last night. Partial solution was in sight, however, for students who are leaving in February, the committee said. Three methods of disposing of furniture were proposed: shipping, storage, and selling.

Investigation of available shipping methods by the Council has resulted in the following information. Shipment by van is influenced by the fact that the amount that is shipped is limited to 1000 pounds and the bill of lading must be from one point to another for the whole shipment. This might, however, prove the cheaper solution if several students residing in one town were to join together. Railway Express requires separate crating for each article, which would create considerable difficulties.

Storage Sore Point

Storage of the furniture of drafted students has been the main line of attack of the Council committee. It was proposed that either a commercial warehouse or University space should be used. With the announcement of the University's lack of space, should be used. Wih the announcement of the University's lack of space, the committee has reported warehouses rates for interested students. In small lots the rates are 1.25 cents per cubic foot per mouth, in wholesale floor space the rate is only 1 cent per cubic foot per month.

The third solution is selling, and here the Council has presented an almost complete solution. Already the Navy Supply School representative, Lieutenant Anthony, and a COOP representative have asked for 80 bridge lamps and 250 desk lamps from the students. These men will be in the Junior Common Room of Winthrop House at 2 o'clock Friday. At this time Lieutenant Anthony will take the names of men with furniture, particularly easy chairs, and contact them to make purchases.

The report of Dartmouth's buying students furniture is misleading, the Council committee announced, since Dartmouth only provides beds for students, and needed the other furniture to equip the rooms for the incoming Naval groups. Further plans for the sale of student furniture are still under discussion, and will be announced later this week.