FREE SOCIETY CONANT TOPIC

Adaptation of Student to War Features Valedictory

President Conant's Valedictory address, dedicated to the men of the College who are leaving for the armed services, will be on "The Fight for Freedom in Peace and War." The address will be the central point in the solemn service this Sunday in which members of all classes will participate, and which will combine features of the former Baccalaureate and Commencement ceremonies.

President Conant will discuss the adaptations which face Harvard students entering service from civilian life. Examining the changes necessary for members of a free society in moving from civilian capacity to the status of soldier, he will stress particularly the problems which the soldier must keep in mind for attention and settlement after the war. The system of ethics in use in free and totalitarian societities will also be contrasted.

Over 1200 applications have been received for the Valedictory Service, making it definite that an overflow meeting will have to be held in Sanders Theatre.

Members of the two ROTCs will participate in the solemn and tradition-laden procession which will start off the ceremony on Sunday morning at 10:15 o'clock. Unit commanders have been given supplies of tickets, which they will distribute to their men in time.

The Class Oration, by John W. Sullivan '43, scheduled for the Class Day exercises on Saturday, will be on the subject "The Temptation of Destiny and America's Manifest Duty," it was revealed last night.