240 New Specialists Begin Training Here

Engineers, Language Students in Group

To maintain Harvard's Army Specialized Training Program population at the 1,550 level, a large group of replacements arrived yesterday. About 80 of the new men are in the basic group, with approximately 125 more in the foreign area and language division, and about 35 sanitary engineers. The foreign area and language students will be housed in Mather Hall, Leverett House, with the others living in other parts of Leverett and in Winthrop House.

Most of these men passed their Army General Classification Tests in the field and were put into a STAR unit at New York's City College, where they were given further tests to determine what each man was best fitted for. They were held at C.C.N.Y. until there were places open for them at other colleges.

Openings were available at Harvard, apparently, because the Reserve group here has dwindled. The A-12 tests given on November 9 have not yet been scored, and the fact that Harvard's Army Group term periods do not coincide with the A-12 test schedule causes delay in filling vacancies.

Replacements were also needed for the A. S. T. Reserve men who got into the program last term through A-12 tests, and left last week, at the end of their term, to get their basic training. These men had entered the A. S. T. before their eighteenth birthdays and, having reached the age of eighteen during the term, they left on December 4. Other Specialist men had a week's furlough last week before starting their new terms.