Weekly Movies Shown To Men of Navy Units

In line with the policy of setting up standard fleet welfare activities for Naval personnel stationed at the University, a new recreational program has been authorized by Captain George N. Barker, USN, Commanding Officer, Naval Training Schools.

Featured in the new schedule are the weekly two hour showings of new Hollywood features, accompanied by shorts and news reels. These films are obtained through the Navy Motion Picture Circuit, and the slight cost of admission goes to defray rental and incidental operating costs. Tickets covering five shows can be obtained from the Welfare Officers of the several schools.

Since most personnel live in or near the Yard the 500 seat auditorium of the Music Hall near Jefferson Physical Laboratories is used. Due to the limited capacity, certain evenings are set aside for the various units, with the officers and families of all instruction and administrative staffs, and the ships' companies seeing the first showings at 2000 Friday nights.

Two performances at 1800 and 2000 accommodate the student officers, and immediate families, of Supply and Pre-Radar Schools on Saturday; of Communication and Pre-Radar on Sunday. V-12 Unit members attend on both of these nights.