Advocate to Stop Publication Again

Lack of Interest, Materials And Subscriptions Is Cause

After a stormy summer of proposed suspension of publication followed by reports of more favorable conditions, the Advocate has decided to suspend publication soon. This time the decision is definite and only exceptional circumstances would revoke it.

Factors of most importance in this action are the lack of interest, and, still more, difficulty in getting subscriptions. At present men in college are very reluctant to subscribe because of the uncertainty about how long they will be here, and the Advocate could not be assured of any definite support. Other considerations in the board's ceasing publication for the third time this summer were the lack of materials, the shortage of competent writers, and the rising costs of publications.

The Advocate elected four new members to act in an honorary function until the end of the war or until publication should be resumed; then they will-assume the regular duties. In spite of the fact that their office is to be only honorary for the present, these members were chosen for their literary ability.

The situation of the Advocate has been erratic for the last three-quarters of a year. The Russian issue was the only one in a period during which there were usually published. After its publication the editors regarded the situation as encouraging, but now they are definitely convinced that further issues are impossible. The president is too busy to work on the magazine, while one editor is leaving and another will graduate at the end of this term.