College Stops Day Holidays

Buck States Order Demanded by Navy

Harvard College students have seen their last one-day holiday for the duration of the war, Dean Buck announced last night following the cancellation of New Year's Day and Washington's Birthday layoffss. The change was made at the request of the Navy.

When the college service schools classes first came here, the A.S.T.P. went on a different schedule from the civilians and announced that Specialist trainees would get no one-day holidays, but the Navy made special arrangements with the college.

The college schedule for this year was laid out on Navy specifications of three 16-week terms a year. Dean Buck arranged for one week in between terms in order to allow a vacation at Christmas, whereas colleges such as Yale get no Christmas week because of ten-day between term vacations.

The Navy reiterated its demand for 96 class days a term, however, and the college finally decided to abandon all one-day holidays in the face of possible reductions of between term or Christmas vacations. Tests will be scheduled for Washington's Birthday, while classes will be held on Patriot's Day and the Fourth of July.