CONANT WILL TALK MONDAY AT 8 IN FOGG AUDITORIUM

DEANS, CHAIRMEN OF DEPARTMENTS, POST-GRADUATE STUDENTS INVITED

Making his first appearance here since he awarded an honorary Doctor of Laws degree to Winston Churchill three months ago President James Bryant Conant will speak Monday night to an invited gathering at the Fogg Museum of Art.

The address is to be primarily for the members of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences and several associated schools, but deans and chairmen of University departments will also be invited. President Conant will talk on the future of learning in America. The meeting begins at 8 o'clock in the Fogg Museum auditorium.

This is President Conant's first formal speech to University students since he addressed a Business School gathering on April 12. At that time he noted the many changes which were occurring across the river.

The Business School address climaxed a series of talks which President Conant gave to various college groups at that time. The general topic of them was much the same as the topic for Monday: the role of education in the postwar world.

In his most recent talks, President Conant has stressed a five-point program for postwar educational development, including competition, equality of opportunity, the best in equipment, and freedom from government control.

President Conant is in Washington at present in his capacity as chairman of the National Defense Research Committee, which has the task of co-ordinating all academic engineering societies and research programs throughout the country.

The committee employs from 10 to 20 scientists at different periods of the year, and is given an annual grant of over a hundred million dollars from Congress.

It is not yet known if President Conant has come here for the one address or whether he will use next week to re-acquaint himself with the Harvard student body before returning to his post in Washington.