TUFTS SINKS STAHLMEN 51-30 IN INITIAL TUSSLE

Defeat Attributed to Absence of Key Men

Harvard's Varsity five has a tremendous amount of polishing to do before it tangles with the Eli's post-N. Y. U. group a week from Saturday. This fact was conclusively shown to some 350 spectators Friday night when Tufts ran away from Coach Floyd Stahl's befuddled and weakened courtmen, 51-30.

Throughout most of the game, the Crimson acted like a poor high school team. It missed ten of its 12 foul shots and was unable to control the ball off either backboard.

Handicapped by the fact that four of the five first-string practice men could not start. Harvard started out like a house a smoldering to jump off to a three-point lead after three minutes of sloppy scoreless play. The lead lasted about 45 seconds, and from that point on the Crimson was never in the game.

Tufts quickly pulled away and increased its lead throughout the period with the exception of a six-point rally which brought Harvard from 19-6 to 19-12. With Kearns tallying 12 points and Phillips 8, the Jumbos led at half-time, 07-17.

At the start of the second half, Dick Warren, left forward, who was Harvard's high scorer with ten points broke the ice and then watched the deluge, as Tufts seared away to a huge lead. In this half the glaring weaknesses under the backboard, in passing, foul-shooting, and guarding became evident, although close guarding held down former high scorer Kearns, who tallied only two points in the second half.

The five is far from hopeless. Most of its errors were on the "if-at-first-you-don't-succeed" plane, and Floyd Stahl should be able to whip the boys into a pretty good fighting unit by the end of the month. But Henry Hibbard, George Boston, Dan Shields, and Dean Hennessy are lost for the rest of the year.

In the Junior Varsity game, the Jumbos took a fighting Crimson, 38-31, after the Jayvees had pulled up from 31-23 to 31-29.