Crimson Squads Resume Action; Many Athletes in Armed Services

Withington, Fisher, Garland Wear Khaki

By Irvin M. Horowitz

Somewhat the worse for academic wear, those Crimson athletes who are not service-bound return to action this week, with every winter sports squad resuming its schedule. Absent from the ranks, however, are numerous shining lights, departing either by graduation or at the behest of the gent with the long white whiskers.

The plight of track coach Jaakko Mikkola is by far the most grievous. Ted Withington, Sophomore quarter-miler who was expected to be a leading member of the mile relay team which Mikkola is taking to New York's Millrose Games this Saturday will enter the Air Corps this week. With Moe Young on the shelf because of a pulled muscle, the quartet representing the Crimson is thus seriously crippled.

Garland, Fisher Leave

But that is not all. Pote Garland, as close to a one-man track team as Harvard has known in years, enters the mountain troops, and will not be around this semester. The giant Sophomore, an end on the Crimson eleven, was a four-event winner in last spring's Yale meet, and local experts touted him as a future Al Blozis. Garland had done better than 49 feet in the shot put.

Also donning the khaki is Jack Fisher, better known as first string center for Dick Harlow. Fisher, no mean hand at the hammer throw, leaves for the Air Corps. Jim Wheeler, another member of the mile relay team, is in the ERC, and Saturday will probably be his last meet.

Cage Squad Loses Depth

Earl Brown's basketball team, currently lounging in the Ivy League cellar, is casualty number two. Don Lutze, wizard defensive cager, will not be in College for the second semester, as he expects to be drafted very soon. Tom Axon, reserve forward, left during examination period for a meteorology school, and Dick Sorlien, another substitute, is in the ERC.

So Brown's loss is not catastrophic, although it means less depth. Captain "Bunks" Burditt and Hugh Hyde are both in the Air Corps Reserve, Dick Forster, Mike Keene, and Frank Bixler are all in Mil Sci. George Dillon will be around, and so will Mike Fansler, although that Freshman ace's academic status is insecure at the moment.

Hockey Team Loses Paine

Aside from graduation losses, the Crimson hockey team, which sports the envious record of eight triumphs in nine starts, does not suffer. Captain John Paine and defenseman Bill Apthorp complete their careers against Dartmouth this Saturday night, in a return battle at Hanover. All the other members of the squad are scheduled to return, naval reserve programs accounting for most of them.

To alleviate his shortage in defensive talent, Coach John Chase will probably move Ex-center Marc Beebe back to defense, and perhaps bring up another reserve from the jayvees. Dick Mechem and Ollie Taylor are the only two defense men left, but veteran Tom Cowen may be persuaded to return to the rink wars.

Aquatically, Harvard loses two stars via the sheepskin route. Captain Bill Drucker, who could always be counted on for one victory in the backstroke event and who always supplied a healthy lead in the medley event, graduates, as does Bus Curwen, breast stroker, who strokes and captains the Crimson crew in his spare time. Sprinter John Eusden, a Marine-to-be, will be around for a while.

Chief loss of wrestling coach Jay There will be no more poses like this for JACK FISHER, defensive bulwark on Dick Harlow's eleven. The rangy center, who also throws the hammer for Jaakko Mikkola's track team, received an Air Corps call during exam period.

Schaffran is Captain Lee Sosman, heavy-weight grappler who will receive his diploma. Gaelen Felt, captain of the squash team, has already left for the Army.

Harvard's return to sports action will come a little slowly this week. The first event on the winter schedule is a hockey game between the Crimson junior varsity and Rindge Tech, listed for Thursday evening. On Saturday the cagers play Boston University in the Indoor Athletic Building, the track team journeys to New York, and the hockey team invades Hanover for the return game with Dartmouth.