Crimson Sextet Overwhelms Tigers 9-1 in Rough, Sloppily Played Game

Earle Acker Elected Captain By Teammates Before Tilt

By John C. Bullard m

With the outcome never in doubt, the Varsity six trounced Princeton's game but ERC-riddled team 9 to 1 at the Skating Club last night. The victory, the second this year over the Bengals, was also Harvard's second in three Pentagonal League ventures.

Just before game time the team chose Earle D. Acker '44 of North Quincy to succeed Johnny Paine as captain. Last year Acker centered the third line, but early this winter Coach Chase moved him to defense, where he stayed until moving up to center the first line before midyears.

Despite the one-sidedness of the score, the Crimson did not put on a satisfactory showing. Midyear exams have dulled the keen passing edge of last December, and the covering in front of the Crimson goal, when need of such arose, usually was nothing short of disgraceful.

Albie Everts, with two goals and two assists, and Tooker Harding, with a goal and two assists, led in the scoring department, although the defense combination of Dick Mechem and Olie Taylor, with four goals between them, played a large offensive part.

Tough Night for Kelley

Ed Kelley, the Tigers' overworked goalie, had to make 16 saves during the first period, while Goodie Harding, at the other end of the rink, touched the puck only three.

Ragged passing and untimely off-sides by the Harvard lines kept the goals down to two, by Albie Everts and the littlest Harding of them all, during this time.

Olie Taylor started the light flashing in the second when he batted in a rebound set up by the Everts-Harding corporation. Then Princeton's Mr. Northrap, apparently desirous of emulating Pennsylvania's immortal Gallagher, left the ice for the first time, for checking Tooker Harding rather violently on the chin. While he was out Everts accounted for his second goal of the evening.

Northrup Again

Regaining the rink, Northrup was banished again, for the same offense, and this time Taylor floated one in from the blue line, to give Harvard a 5 to 0 lead. Princeton's lone tally came when Mare Beebe was in the hot house, on a play in which the Bengal forwards were so uncovered that Sally Rand, late of these columns, might well have been envious.

But by that time Mr. Northrup was back on the ice again, only to depart, this time for board-checking. Greatly anguished Dick Vaughan, the Princeton mentor, put another man on the ice anyway, causing a lengthy debate concerning the legality of Princeton playing with six men on the ice (which there were) when Northrup was in the box (which he was). Finally Northrup and a teammate played gin rummy in the corral while Mechem went wild, scoring both of his goals in 40 seconds.

Third period goals by Johnny Burton and Tooker Harding accounted for the Crimson's winning margin over the tired but game Princetonians.