STARTING DATE OF NEW ARMY TRAINING PROGRAM NAMED

Beukema Says April Will See Conversion

Although an announcement from Washington on Saturday stated that the first courses of the Army's Specialized Training Program would be under way by March 1, University officials declared last night that no information had been received here as to when the training will actually start at Harvard.

As released by Colonel Herman Beukema, director of the program, the governmental statement announced that "the program would be in full swing by April 1." It is probable, however, that this applies only to the formation of individual technical schools and not to the nauguration of the overall plan, which would include calling the R. O. T. C. to active duty and sending draftees to colleges for general technical training.

Yesterday's release follows the announcement last Sunday that Harvard had been selected for three specialized training schools, and evidently the dates relaesed apply principally to the establishment of schools of this kind. A definite schedule, however, must await the receipt of more specific information from the War Department. The Navy, which has also assigned specialized schools to many colleges, did not participate in yesterday's release.

Beukema simultaneously released figures on the status of the reserve plans throughout the country, and stated that at the present time there are 19,400 students in all special categories.

The Army's program will step this up to 150,000 students under the specialized plan, 70,000 aviation cadets, 30,000 men taken from the ranks for special training, and 37,000 WAAC's. Under the specialized plan, 50,000 men will be graduated this year