SWIMMERS DROP CONTESTS TO LIONS, NAVY ON WEEKEND TRIP

Navy Wins Easily, Columbia Edges By On Technicality

After remaining undefeated for three meets, one of them an Eastern Intercollegiate League contest, the Crimson swimming squad went on the road and dropped meets to Columbia and Navy.

Although the score read 40 to 35 in favor of the Lions the mermen gave a good account of themselves, losing by a judge's decision rather than because of lack of speed. Leading going in to the 400 yard relay, the Crimson seemed to be sewing up the meet when anchor man Captain Johnny Eusden breezed home in front by a wide margin. The judges, however, ruling that Eusden had started early, gave the event and contest to Columbia.

Eusden was the star of the trip, picking up 20 points. Without Drucker and Curwen though, the Crimson was without two of its aces. It was an entirely different story from the Columbia meet at Annapolis, the Navy having a far too well balanced squad.

The long trip also was a strain on the swimmers. The veterans stood up well, but a good many of the younger men on the team weren't used to such a journey. Another blow was the loss of Bob Goodspeed who was called back to Cambridge by his draft board after the New York encounter and was unable to continue on the second leg of the jaunt.

Besides Eusden, Dave Barnes, with two firsts and a second, was outstanding for the Crimson, while George Christman, Bill Hewes, Frank Padgett, and Bob Aaron also did well. Two records were set in the two meets. In New York, Gene Rogers set a new pool record in the 220-yard free style with a time of 2:15 and in Annapolis, Jack Manherz set a new Naval Academy record for the 200 yard breast stroke, coming home in the time of 2:32.