Conant Predicts Survival, Expansion Of Liberal Arts as Basis of Society

Interval Only Preparation For a Renewed Advance

Survival of the liberal arts despite the war-time supremacy of the sciences was predicted by President Conant, writing a lead article for the New York Times Sunday Magazine, this week. The next few months, he stated, should be taken up in an "attempt to formulate a general education for free men in a nation dedicated to the principle of educational opportunities for all."

It is not a question of how to prevent the annihilation of the liberal arts. Conant stressed, but rather there is the problem of adaptation of a traditional system to the needs of a modern age. Not only is there apt to be a resurgence of interest towards the liberal arts after concentration upon the sciences, but also men will realize that "a judicious blonding of the study of man and nature is the only sure foundation of a free common-wealth."

Proposals to isolate 10,000 men for the sole study of liberal arts as leaders of the post-war world Conant condemned as impracticable. No man would long be able to withstand the moral pressure, nor could parents actually favor such a course for their sons. Moreover, he pointed out, such men would have little chance to "lead the world" when they had not felt any of the actual hardships of warfare themselves.

Conant stressed particularly the dependence of the free society of the nation upon the infiltration of the human tradition of the liberal arts into the social and educational system.

In conclusion he reiterated. "No defensive rearguard action confronts teachers and supporters of the liberal arts as a result of war; the challenge is to use the present interval in preparation for a renewed advance."

Excerpts from the text of President Conant's article appear on page 4.