FIVE WHALED BY ARMY AFTER UPSETTING LIONS

The two theories most frequently aired about the Crimson basketball team were proved to perfection this weekend. That the Varsity five is strictly an up-and-down ball team was aptly shown in its amazing spurt to down Columbia 53 to 52, at the Indoor Athletic Building Saturday night; its absolute inability to win on the road was demonstrated beyond a doubt yesterday morning, when an inspired Army quintet gave the quintet a 72 to 40 going-over.

Earl Brown's charges, back from the Point, were mumbling to themselves this morning as they talked about the amazing Cadets. In administering the worst beating the Varsity has absorbed all winter, the West Pointers couldn't miss from anywhere on the floor; they dropped almost 50 percent of their shots, and Frank Philpott and Bill Hall, who garnered 46 markers between them, clicked even more often. Judging solely by the way they played yesterday, the Cadets were the best team Harvard has yet faced.

It was a rout from the very beginning, when Hall found the range for four successive deuces on long set shots. The Crimson defense, whether deployed in a zone or man-to-man, no matter what the lineup, was absolutely unable to halt the Cadets, who averaged about six feet four in height, and missed very few rebounds.

Oh, but Saturday

Saturday night things were vastly different. In a Merriwell finish which harked back to the Princeton contest of two weeks before, the Brownmen rallied from a seven-point deficit with five minutes to play. Four successive scores by Dean Hennessey, who totaled 16 points to take sixth place in the Ivy League scoring race, brought the Crimson within two points of the Light Blue, paced by Walt Budko, giant center, who leads the league.

Then Frank Bixler dropped a set shot to tie the count, and after Budko converted a foul shot, Bix dropped the winning deuce with just five seconds remaining on a set from the side.

The Army game summary:   G  F  P Bixler, rf  1  1  3 Hennessey, rf  3  7  13 Keene, lf  1  0  2 Reade, lf  2  0  4 Richards, lf  0  0  0 Hyde, c  1  1  3 Moley, rg  1  1  3 Dillon, rg  4  0  8 Torgan, lg  2  0  4 Fansler, lg  0  0  0 Total  15  10  40