College Enrollment Thinned By Departure of 1000 Men

500 More Expected To Leave by March

Because of mid-year examinations, the operations of the 18-19 year draft, and calls of the Enlisted Reserve Corps, the undergraduate enrollment of the University has decreased by 1,000 students, according to an announcement from University Hall.

Although the loss of 1,000 men represents a 30 percent decrease in undergraduate ranks, it is expected by faculty members that more students will leave in weekly installments. At present the fall enrollment of 3,500 students has been reduced to 2,500.

By March 15, predictions are that at least 500 additional men will be taken from the rolls, leaving a bare 2,000 students. Those leaving in this group of 500 are an estimated 350 men who are to graduate, 50 Juniors who are to go into medical work, and an unpredictable number of men who will receive orders from the E. R. C. or the draft.

Stunned in a similar manner by the student shortage Yale has announced that its undergraduate ranks are shrunk to a figure of about 2000 men who are registered for the spring term. Of these 2000 some 200 will probably be withdrawn from the enrollment of the school by the end of next month.

Paralleling undergraduate shrinkage, reports from the U. S. Office of Education reveal that 8,000 college faculty members have likewise left their posts to take jobs with the government, with war industries, and to join the armed services. The percentage of college teachers leaving was five, with indications that this figure would rise rapidly in the next two or three months.

Most seriously hit by the draft this year as has been true in the past, the various graduate schools report enrollments that are very much smaller than those of normal years. The Law School in particular has been badly decimated and is down to 98 men. Many of its facilities are therefore now being used by members of the various armed services training at Harvard.