LEVERETT CAGERS TOP HOUSE LEAGUE BY BEATING KIRKLAND

Cameron Comes to Bunnies' Aid by Scoring 116 Points

An 18 to 12 victory for the Leverett House cagers over Kirkland in the final game of the year, gave them the House basketball championship after a very close, hard-fought season. Had the Deacons been able to take the contest, it would have tied them with the Bunnies.

The final standings showed Leverett on top with 12 wins and two losses, closely followed by Kirkland, with ten and four. Then follow: Adams, nine and five; Dudley, eight and six; Winthrop, seven and seven; Lowell, five and nine; Dunster, three and 11 and Eliot, two and 12.

Cameron Top Scorer

Norm Cameron of Leverett was the league's high scorer, amassing a total of 116 points. Teammate Danny Garelick was next with 97, John Vergobbi, of Dudley, scored 79, Winthrop's Jim Foust dropped 71 through the hoop, and Len Cummings, end on the football team, playing for Dudley, was fifth with 66.

Leverett had a seasoned squad, one that had good ball passers and fine team-work. In a scrimmage with the Jayvees, it made a good showing. The team that took the floor against Kirkland consisted of: Cameron, center; Garolick and Joe Hurley, guards; and Jack Harvey and Will Demeron, forwards.

Deacons Nosed Out

Kirkland had a flock of a good Sophomores and Freshmen, among them Billy Sparks and Charley Carson, and was just nosed out at the close by Leverett. Adams was in the running all the way, but just couldn't win enough games to get a glimpse of the top rung. Bill Wilcox was their outstanding player.

For Dudley, which looked good all season, Vergobbi and Cummings were the stars. Jim Foust's offensive play, and that of Al Jackson and Dave Loring on defense made Winthrop what it was. Lowell, the defending champions, started out well, but lost its five starters at mid-years.

Bill Thomson and Speed Clarke were the Bellboys' big gous in the first half, Sam Hall had Shelly Sachs being the stars after January.