Local ERC Men Get Orders Today

Reservists Are to Report at Fort Devens for Induction on March 11

After a month of waiting, the unassigned group of the Harvard ERC contingent has finally received its orders to report on March 11 at Fort Devens. Arriving late yesterday morning at the War Service Information Bureau, they will be available for students who want to call for them today, although they will be mailed out immediately to others, Elliott Perkins '23, director of the Bureau, announced yesterday.

All of the 117 sets of papers which were to have come directly through the First Service Command have arrived. This includes both the men who reside in the Corps Area, and those who asked specifically to have Devens as their induction center.

Other members of the ERC, who live outside the First Corps Area and who did not ask to be sent to Devens for placement, will receive their orders from home Commands. The papers have already been sent to these by the First Service Command, which is handling all the orders for the College, and will probably be sent out as soon as the Home Command receives them.

Inductees may arrive at Devens any time on March 11 but it is highly advisable for them to arrive early in the day, Perkins said, since the process of induction is long and complex. The men will probably remain at the center only a few days and then be sent on to their primary training camps.

Notices of the arrival of orders were sent to all men concerned and in addition to several surprised members of the assigned ROTC groups. As far as Perkins knew last night, however, these were due to a clerical error. Nevertheless, ROTC men should check up at Little Hall today.

Only 10 days, instead of the originally planned two weeks, have been allowed for the reservists to settle their affairs at home, because the orders are dated for Friday, even through they were not sent to the War Service Information Bureau until yesterday.

The 117 men who have received their orders, together with those who will receive them from their home Commands, constitute more than half the total enrollment in the Enlisted Reserve Corps. The rest include such groups as the assigned advanced ROTC, pre-medical students, and majors in Engineering, Mathematics, Astronomy, Physics, Chemistry, and Psychology.

This group of assigned Enlisted Reserve Corps men will stay at least till the end of this semester, after which most of them will be called up to active duty.