Leverett Wins House Boxing Tournament

Kirkland Finishes One Point Behind

By Wallace I. Green

In what Adolph W. Samborski '25, Director of Intramural Athletics, and Coach Henry Lamar agreed was far and away the best House boxing tournament over held, 23 contestants stopped through the ropes into the ring in the boxing for the second and final day's action, Friday afternoon.

Leverett House, with 14 points, just squeezed through by a one point margin over Kirkland, Dudley coming in third with 11. Eliot had 10, Duster 8, Lowell 5, Adams 3, and Winthrop wound up without a single point.

To the 20 or 40 spectators who crowded together on the benches, the House score didn't seem to make much difference. These people were here to cheer whomever looked good to them and they did plenty of loud cheering.

The boxers were all in good shape and gave their fans plenty to shout about. The fights were all fast and hard fought, and many of the bouts saw some line boxing. Tom Rawson, a former lightweight and son of the boxing coach at MIT, was the referees.

Petite and Regan Win

The day's Proceedings got underway with a 155 quarter final bout between Howie Hopson of Leverett and Gus Summers of Winthrop with the Bunnio pugilist taking the decision. This fight was followed by seven semi-final matches and one quarter final. Then after a brief intermission the finals were run off.

In the 120 lb. final bout, A1 Petite of Kirkland, with hard body punches kept doubling up Mike Lovezzola of Dudley, finally knocking him out at 1:54 of the third round. Bob Regan, of Dudley outboxed, outsmarted, and outpunched Lee Stouts to capture the 137 lb. title.

Buland Scores Two KO's

After two very close rounds, Jim Raffl, of Kirkland, poured on the heat to cop the 135 lb. decision from Johnny Frenning of Leverett. In what looked like a preview of the House wrestling tournament which is to take place next week, Gordie chase of Leverett, defeated Kirkland's Lew Krohn in the 145 lb final.

Jim Nuland, of Eliot, gave one of the afternoon's best performances, knocking out Dick Hawkins, of Kirkland, in 48 seconds of the third round of his semi-final 165 lb bout, and polishing off Gene-Lyne, of Dunster, after 1:22 of the second round, in the final.

Hill-Dudley Bout Terrific

The closest fight of the afternoon was the 155 lb. final between Johnny Parrish, of Eliot, and Hopson in which the decision went to Parrish. Because of an injured thumb, Dudley's Brendon Reilley was unable to take part in the 175 lb. final, so Johnny Watkins, of Lowell was declared the winner by default.

The main event of the day was the heavyweight fight between Lou Hill, of Dunster, and Dana Dudley, of Adams. Everyone has been waiting to see this bout, expecting it to be a honey, It was too, and the spectators yelled their heads of watching two good boxers and hard hitters go to it. Hill got the nod after three rounds of fighting at a terrific pace.