BERG STOPS COAST GUARD HITTERS, 2-0

Stahlmen Entertain Huskies Tomorrow

Captain Warren "Moe" Berg, a moundsman who had taken his share of lumps in earlier games, returned to 1942 form Wednesday afternoon when he blanked the Boston Coast Guard nine 2 to 0 for the Varsity in the best-played contest of the Harvard season.

Berg, his curve ball working to perfection and his change of pace a tantalizing tidbit, set the Guardsmen down with just three hits, no two of which came in the same inning. The first Boston safety came in the fifth inning.

Pitchers' Duel

For the visitors, right-handed Roy Merritt was just a shade less effective. The Crimson ganged up on him for two runs in the first inning, but thereafter they were completely squelched, emerging from the battle with only four blows.

Harvard's runs came quickly. Walt Sorgi started matters off by beating out a hit to second. Brooks Heath, trying to sacrifice, forced Sorgi. Then Danny Shields, who seems to be ensconced at third base for Floyd Stahl, blasted a double along the left field line, Sorgi stopping at third. When ex-big leaguer Jim Hegan endured the ignominy of a passed ball a moment later, Sorgi scored, and Shields tallied on Gerry Callauan's infield out.

For the first time in three weeks, the Crimson nine has a Saturday afternoon home game tomorrow, entertaining Northeastern at Soldiers Field. Game-time is 3 o'clock. The Stahlmen won a 6 to 4, ten-inning decision over the Huskies two weeks ago at the Northeastern diamond. Jack Farley is expected to pitch for the Varsity.

Berg Bears Down

Meanwhile, Berg was taking very good care of his service friends. Jay Gleason's error allowed Jerry Kiley to reach base in the first, but no other Guardsman got on until the fifth, when a walk and Hegan's single were sandwiched between three of Moe's four strikeouts. The visitors loaded the bases with two out an inning later on two walks and Bill Cliggott's double, but Gleason threw out Chet Kasper on a nice play to end the threat.

After the first inning, no Crimson runner saw third base as Merritt mowed them down. He issued only three passes, and the game was marked by only two errors, one by each team. Berg walked four men, and the contest was over in less than two hours.

Last week, against the same team, Berg was shelled for six hits in two innings when he relieved Jack Farley with very little warmup. What a difference a day makes.

The summary:   ab  r  h  po  a  e Sorgi, 2b  4  0  1  1  7  0 Heath, lf  2  1  0  3  0  0 Shields, 3b  3  1  1  0  1  0 Callanan, c  4  0  1  3  1  0 Flynn, cf  3  0  0  2  0  0 Slattery, 1b  3  0  0  15  1  0 Clark, rf  3  0  0  1  0  0 Gleason, ss  2  0  1  1  2  1 Berg, p  2  0  0  1  3  0 Totals  26  2  4  27  15  1

Run batted in--Callanan. Two-base hit--Shields. Bases on balls--off Berg, 4. Struck out--By Berg, 4. Wild pitch--Berg.