Equal Justice

Widely broadcasting its claims to successor-ship to "Social Justice," a new monthly paper which manifests all the undemocratic traits of Father Coughlin's banned paper has made its appearance. Already it is receiving acclaim and active support to an extent which indicates not individual but organized interest.

This publication bears the name "Rural Justice" and is printed in a small Alabama city by a Reverend Terminiello. Its leading interest seems to be devoted to exposing cases of wickedness and fraud in the British and the United States governments. A front page story in this month's issue attacks the RAF for strafing civilian trains in its raids on Italy. Other space is filled with advertisements and testimonials from readers who praise it for taking up "Social Justice's" tradition of "interest in truth and justice."

An ordinary paper, of this calibre--printed monthly in a rural district of the deep south--would never be circulated beyond the local community. But this one, expressing ideas dangerous to a nation in time of war, has already appeared in various sections of the country. By banning Coughlin's publication, the government initiated its wartime policy of suppressing clearly seditious literature. There is no reason for it to reverse this policy. "Rural Justice" has given ample evidence that it deserves the same fate as its predecessor.