Haines' Light Crews Meet Cornell and MIT Tomorrow

Crimson, Red 150's Race for First Time

Tomorrow afternoon's Harvard MIT Cornell triangular meet, scheduled to start on the Charles between 4:30 and 5 o'clock, will afford Bert Haines' Varsity 150 1b. crew its first chance of the season to race the Ithaca eight over the 1-5/16 mile Henley length.

The light-weights left the Tech shell behind by a wide margin two weeks ago, but the Cornell 150's are expected to offer strong competition since they took a close engagement from the Penn, Princeton, and Tech outfits on the Schuylkill last week. Tech, two lengths behind, occupied fourth place as the winners clocked 7:03.

Now that the heavy eights are through for the season, tomorrow's contest should draw large crowds to the Massachusetts Avenue Bridge, where the gruelling mid-point fight can be watched, and to the banks beside the finish line. If the wind is down-stream as usual, the course will run from the basin side of the Tech boat house almost to the subway bridge.

Present plans call for one boat only from each of the three colleges, by permission will be requested to enter a second Crimson boat as unofficial competition. Although the results of this entry would not be recorded, the crew would gain valuable experience by trying the long race against such sturdy opponents.

The official Henley record for 150's stands at 6:40, and because of present conditions; no new standard is expected, but the first clash between the Crimson and Big Red crews should result in a fairly low time.

The boating:

Stroke, W. Malcolm '45; 7, C. S. Robinson '44; 6, R. W. Swanson '43; 5, E. F. Greene '44; 4, M. M. Miller '43; 3, R. D. Moot, Jr. '44; 2, E. H. Schell, Jr. '44; bow, A. G. Olney '43; cox, J. H. Ward, Jr. '46.