NSCS Midshipmen

By M. J. Roth

Back up your case books in your old civvy bag and get set to move . . . next door to McCulloch, Mellon, or Glass Hall. We'll be amoverin' before the end of this month to make room for the next class of middies. You can probably keep your old room-mate, however, if you still want the guy, but be prepared to be a little more cozy (spelled crowded) than before.

Beginning June 1, if you're still with us (us?), you'll receive, as an unmarried onsign, $216 in cold cash, $108 the 1st and 15th of each month. That includes $150 base pay, $21 for food, and $45 for rent. If married, the total will come to $252. Meals at Cowie will be $9 per week, room rent $15 a month. Oh yes, maid service comes with the rent, as long as the maids held out.

Continuing in the financial vein, between February 1 and June 1, you will have earned $260 as Midshipmen, out of which you received $40 in cash. Subtract your Coop, laundry, and tailor bills, ship's service charges, and special withdrawals, and you will know how much to expect . . . maybe.

Big Weekend Coming

Incidentally, if you have a "favorite balance" on the 15th of this month you'll be able to get some cash for that wild and woolly post-exam weekend. The pay line will form as usual on Saturday morning, the 15th. And don't forget to pick up your leave papers if you expect to leave town. The one day slice taken out of that leave is set aside for distribution of books, manuals, "reg," etc. and, get this, preparation of Wednesday's assignments.

Just in case you thought next semester would be a snap, here's a look at the courses. Nine courses a week of Navy disbursing under Lt. Com. I. S. Moore, head of NSCS disbursing, three hours of Procurement and Sources of Supply II, with emphasis on procurement, under Professors Lewis and Tosdale; Industrial Management II, emphasizing personnel and management controls, under Professors Meriam and Cies (3 hours); Foreign Resources with Professor De Haas, 2 hours; Professor Snyder's Policy Aspects of War Production, and Professor Cunningham's course in Transportation, both three hours . . . total class hours 23. We just finished a term of 21 class hours weekly. 'Nuff said. Liberty, for them's that's interested, will be from 1600 to 2000, except for one baseball game and two additional hours of athletics per week.

Apologia

Ignorance is no excuse, and we did go wrong last week when we questioned the practicability of columns of threes, etc. After reading page 69 of the Blue-jackets Manual, we were quickly convinced that "man who write column before read book, put foot in month."

Writing this long before Thursday, we can't comment on the Navy Review at Soldiers Field. But dress rehearsal looked good to us, especially the smart looking outfit that preceded us. We offer seven cents to the first Midshipman to invite a WAVE to dinner some night, excluding Lee Shannon, who is about to marry one. Company II will raise the auto to 14 cents if Bob McDonall takes the bet.

From John Croger comes this quotable quote, "One sure way of coming home from Narraghnsett with 50 is to go up there with 100." Bob Frank and Bill Brown claim it's all on account of three men on a horse is just too much weight for any nag. Furthermore, we understand they had to rent the track for the weekend, having missed the last milk-train to Boston.

And there was "Break" Brookenridge working away at a coup de grace on Jack Palmore's door, when he hears, a low laugh. There's Jack right behind him, club in hand. I tell ya the second floor ain't safe for man nor beast.

Voted "most likely to be commissioned" this week was four weeks old Kenneth Denault, popular son of our own John D. And surprise of the week came from Oliver Wilson, who was definitely seen at the Copley, and places, last Saturday night with a lovely young lady whom we all know and love. Once again, nuff said.

Didja hear Seth Grey open up in Management class the other day after being cooped up for three months? It's no wonder that guy who "came in" to one of Professor Masson's finance companies said, and we quote, "Atchoo." He must have been aghast at the fact that we spent so much time with your friend and mine, "Little Ordway" (a humorous remark, gentlemen).

A late contribution, taken from actual letters about allotments sent to the Veteran's Administration: "In accordance with your instructions, I have given birth to twins in the enclosed envelope." And "You have changed my little boy to a girl, does this make any difference?