HARVARD PARTICIPATES IN ARMY'S PROGRAM OF SPECIALIZED TRAINING

60,000 Men Will Be Enrolled by July 31

Sixty thousand men will be enrolled in the Army Specialized Training Programs in 145 colleges by the end of July, the War Department made known this week. At the same time it named 103 of the colleges which will participate in the gigantic program of training specialists in engineering, medicine, psychology and foreign-area knowledges. Some of the institutions will have courses in several of these fields.

The Army has announced that 21,068 men were in colleges and universities participating in the program on May 21st, including 4,663 who were ordered to new specialized units beginning June 14. By the end of June there will be a total of 30,000 in the programs.

Seventeen of the institutions will train for administrative service in foreign areas. The students, the number not specified, will be given intensified courses in history and area knowledge--geography, economics, religion, sociology and political customs, language, police science and law enforcement systems of the area to which they are eventually to be assigned. In the occupied countries these specialists will serve as assistants to senior officers now in training.

Harvard will begin formal instructions on June 14 in two schools, that of Personnel Psychology and Foreign Area and Language Studies.