POST-WAR TREND IS ASSUMED IN NEW NIEMAN FELLOWSHIPS

The Nieman Foundation at Harvard University announced this week that Nieman Fellowships for newspapermen will be restricted this year to men outside the draft in age or military availability, whose intention for study is to equip themselves to deal with post-war problems.

As the Fellowships are awarded only to men whose applications are supported by newspapers ready to grant them leaves of absence for a year's study, this limits the Nieman program this year to men whose papers feel that preparation for handling post-war issues is important enough to justify a leave during the war. Plans for study may be either economic or political, international or domestic.

The more extensive offerings of the Fellowships for work in any department of the University are suspended for the war.

In selecting candidates, the Foundation will consider the qualifications of men to carry out plans of work more largely on their own than has been necessary under normal conditions. The University itself, now on a war basis, has restricted its offerings because of the absence of staff members on war duties and assignment of others to the service of Army and Navy training programs at Harvard.

Nieman Fellows will continue, however, to find opportunities for consolations guidance for reading and informal contacts with specialists in international relations, economics, government and history.

Nioman Fellowships, usually about twelve a year, have been offered during the past five years at Harvard under the bequest of Agnes Wahl Nieman, widow of the late Lucius W. Nieman. Publisher of the Milwaukee Journal given "to etc. vate and promote the standards of your nalism in America" Harvard has applied the Nieman funds to the support of annual Fellowships to working newspaper men for a year's study on leave from their papers. A fellowship pays the salary of the man during his leave form his. Until now the Fellowships have permitted work in any department of the University.

Applications will be received until August first for the fall term whose opening under the war schedule of the University will not be until November first.

Sixty-six men on leave from fifty-one news publications and press services have held these Fellowships since the fall of 1938.