GERMAN CLUB UNHIT BY WAR

Verein Turmwaechter Has No Tieup With Third Reich

Beer and singing are the mainstays of the German Club, or Verein Turmwaechter, which whoops and hollers its joy from the Lowell House Tower Room at regular intervals. Practically unaffected by the war, the club is entirely disconnected from the Germany of today.

Founded in 1930 by James M. Hawkes, former faculty instructor in German, the club is modeled after the German students' clubs that Hawkes found around Europe in the 'good old days." The Turmwaechter replaced the Deutsches Verein, which died during the first World War.

Most of the current officers of the club are enrolled in the Navy V-12 program, and the club had little difficulty in starting the new year. Several of its affairs, however, have been called off because of Navy curfew.

Besides its regular meetings, the club conducts picnics in the summer and dances in the winter and spring. The feature of the year is the Maifest, a short play followed by dinner and a dance, which was attended this spring by 80 members and their guests.

Since the departure of Hawkes, the faculty adviser of the club has been Howard E. Roman, instructor of German. Under his direction this year the club has had one meeting and planned an outing that fell through because of V-12 rules.

The Deutsches Verein, which the Verein Turmwaechter succeeded, went in for acting and produced several German plays in downtown Boston. Among the graduates of the Deutsches Verein was H.V. Kaltenborn, who, no matter how much it is denied, was an officer in the old organization.

D-41 is also infiltrating into the Crimson Network. Corporal Bob Glaubor, dilettante extraordinaire of the ballet, is conducting a weekly program, Mondays at 8, on music of the dance, while your favorite SERVICE NEWS columnist (modesty forbids closer identification) gives you the inside stuff on le jazz hot every Thursday at 9. (Reefers will be distributed to the mailboxes of all vipers half an hour before each broadcast. Bring your own hypodermic--we'll provide the gin. The Chinese Exclusion Act of 1906, as amended, will be in effect at all times. Time and Life please copy).

To those who may be slightly puzzled as to how this column qualifies as representative of the Specialists' Corner, I can only quote Ernest Hemingway (author of the well-known movie, "For Whom The Gong Chongs"): "The saloon must go... and I will take it with me."

Hunh?

Next week: The Invasion of Harvard Yard; or Is the Baby Carriage Here to Stay?