JAZZ, ETC.

By S/sgt GEORGE Avakian

Boston bands take a turn for the humorous this week. The Tie Toe has sunk from Earl Hines to somebody with the unbelievable name of Stud Mosely. And the Ken, where no so many syllables of recorded time ago we heard Sidney Bechet, and J. C. Higgembotham, and Red Cless, and James P. Johnson, is featuring Sherman Kleeman's hand and a mysterious trio that not even the management knows the name of as yet. Sure it's funny. But, as Howard Mumford Jones used to say, not so damned funny.

Conditions in the local theaters are sad, too. Loews is proud of a Technicolor Tommy Dorsey and a badly hacked, deleted Cole Porter score in "Du Barry Was A Lady." The RKO, on the other hand, likes its outrages in the flesh, and consequently has both Tommy Tucker, and--of all people--Margie Hart, singing--of all things--a parody of "You Made Me Love You," dedicated to Mr. Minsky.

In the face of this situation the efforts of the Lowell Freshmen purists are all the more commendable. They're well on their way toward obtaining the necessary angels and permission, and some Saturday soon they hope to have Art Hodes and his band, including Mezz Mesirow, down from the Lawrence Hofbrau, for an afternoon-long jam session. As Johann Cristoph Friedrich von Schiller used to say, "Freude!"