Identity of Body Now Definitely Established

Lt. Louis Shiner, Discovered In River, Missing 2 Months

The body of an Army officer discovered in the Charles River by a Harvard student Monday has been definitely identified as Lt. Louis Shiner. An Army Board of Inquiry has been held on the case and the police have closed the investigation.

G. Taylor Hess '47 discovered the body floating in the river across from Weld Boat House. Three men stationed in the A.S.T. unit here succeeded in removing the corpse from the water after they had been summoned for help by Hess. They were Cpl. Anton A. Cedewall, Pfe. Robert Cote, and Pfe. Sidney Simons, all quartered at Leverett House.

Lt. Shiner had been reported missing in November, described as 33 years old, five feet, ten inches, and 155 pounds. The dead man fitted this description and was definitely identified by credentials. Although the Army Board of Inquiry has taken the matter out of the Metropolitan Police's hands, their examination resulted in the pronouncement of the cause of death as drowning, manner not known. There were no signs of violence.