GRIDMEN TOP '43 MARK IN BRIGHT 1944 SEASON

Crimson Scores 100 Points to Rivals' 37

Scoring an even 100 points to only 37 for its opponents, the 1944 informal edition of the Crimson football Varsity chalked up a season record of five victories and one defeat. This bettered the 1943 performance, when informal gridders won two, lost two, and tied one.

The informal label belied the alert and determined play which marked the club's campaign against opponents of widely varied abilities. The lone defeat was sustained at the hands of the Melville Raiders, a club well stocked with former All-Americans and professionals.

Crimson Downs Tufts

Coach Henry Lamar's outfit opened its season against a local rival, Tufts, in the first half of a home-and-home series. Sparked by speedy Marvin Jenkins, a Navy transfer from the Jumbos, the Crimson won, 19 to 12, in a seesaw battle. Although George Feldman's accurate passing for the losers was troublesome, the Crimson showed both offensive and defensive strength.

Bates came to Soldiers Field the following week, and the Lamarmen enjoyed a 43 to 6 romp over the ineffective Bobcats. Schultz, Jenkins and Chapple each contributed two touchdowns in the awesome display of power.

Meets Stiffer Opposition

The Crimson met its first formidable rival in W.P.I. but came out a 13 to 0 victor, thanks to superlative line play. Although a 5 to 1 margin was piled up in ground gaining, the backfield missed the speed of the ineligible Jenkins and injured Schultz.

Victory number four came in the feature of the season, as 43,000 fans watched the Crimson down an inexperienced Boston College eleven, 13 to 0. A last quarter rally by B.C. behind triple-threat Cronin failed to pay off.

Five Players Lost

When the eleven resumed play against Melville after the two week break between terms, it was without five key players; Glenn Schultz, speedy halfback, end Walt Coulson, tackle Bill Sweeney, and centers Jim Crane and Kim Brown. The new club was weaker, despite the addition of Herb Fritts, Roy Morter, and Lew Lamoreaux from Dartmouth.

Behind stocky "Red" McClain, formerly of the professional football Giants, Melville handed Lamar's club its first loss, 13 to 0. The Crimson gave the P.T.'ers trouble, however, hampering their attack with complicated defense formations, and gaining needed yardage with the controversial Harlow double shift. The winners were held to one touchdown in the first 59 minutes, and the Crimson came within a yard of scoring itself.

The second Tufts contest, like the first, was decided by one touchdown, the Crimson winning, 12 to 6. Herb Fritts' 47 yard touchdown run was the feature of the victory.

Davis Outstanding

Guard Eddle Davis led the line which played well all season; Marvin Jenkins copped the Crimson scoring honors, although he played in but the first two games. The shifty halfback tallied 25 points, beating out Bob Cowen by one. Wally Trumbull put in a good quarter-backing job, carrying the main burden of the punting and blocking.

Chet Pierce and Walt Coulson, the only civilian regulars, were excellent at their respective right tackle and right end positions, while Bill Sweeney put in valuable service at the other tackle before being transferred. FOOTBALL STATISTICS   H.  Opp. First downs  61  51 Net yards gained rushing  1086  807 Forward passes  48  67 Forwards completed  21  27 Yards gained, forwards  211  267 Forwards intercepted by  10  7 Distance of punts, average*  33  35 Ball lost on fumble  3  8 Penalties  17  27 Yards lost, penalties  105  170 *From line of scrimmage