Famous Journalists Study Here as Nieman Fellows

Group of Ten Leans To Courses in Gov.

Self-education for its own sake, without reference to the winning of formal credits, is the method by which the Nieman foundation annually affords educational opportunities to outstanding journalists. Ten Nieman fellows began a year's study here on November 6 to increase their competence in subjects with which they will have to deal as writers and editors.

The seventh annual group of Nieman fellows, consisting of one weekly newspaper editor, eight daily newsmen, and one magazine editor, is equipping itself to deal with post-war problems. The newspapermen average three courses each in Government and Economics, although the subjects of other courses range from Lyric Poetry to Astronomy.

Government courses dealing with International Law, International Organization, and Political Theory are the most popular, while, outside that department, a seminar in Group Prejudice and Conflict (Sociology 32) is favored. Several fellows are also enrolled in History, Architectural Sciences, and Geology courses.

Averaging five courses each, the newsmen do not have to take examinations, and are not candidates for degrees. The fellowships carry stipends equivalent to the newspaper salary.

Weekly Meetings Aid Newsmen

Weekly seminars with faculty members supplement the curriculum, and Arthur M. Schlesinger, professor of History, Harlow Shapley, professor of Astronomy, and Merle Fainsed, associate professor of Government, have already addressed the newsmen in Tuesday afternoon meetings. The follows have also met in bi-weekly dinners, with Bruce Bliven, editor of the New Republic, James Reston of the Washington bureau of the New York Times, and Llewellyn B. White of the Office of War Information attending.