Freshmen Frolic In Mem Hall as Auld Band Plays At Jubilee Tonight

With the drab decorum of Mem Hall covered by sprightly trappings, and the moonlight oozing in at the open windows, '47 will have its night to howl. Accompanying the howling will be George Auld's band in its second showing at Harvard, having played in the Union for '45.

From 10 to 2 the massive portals will be open to all comers. The Navy gets a break, too, in the form of special liberty till the next morning, and all the service schools, upperclassmen, and assorted hangers-on are invited, too.

Georgie Auld brings his two vocalists, Kirk Wood and Kay Little, and the committee expects to dig up some nice surprises for intermissions. High punch will be served at 11 o'clock or there-abouts in the back room.

Begun After Last War

Dating back to when your papa was starting the American Legion, the Jubilee was a by-product of the segregation of the Freshmen into the old Kirkland and Winthrop House buildings, then standing lonely waiting for Harkness.

Held in Kirkland's courtyard when there was still grass, the dance was resplendent with "Chinese" lanterns and a temporary dance floor, and everybody prayed for a clear night while they wiggled through the two-step. Remember, Uncle Charlie?

Then, when the Houses were built, they moved the Freshmen up into the Yard, still segregated but happy, and the good old Jubilee went with them to the Union. It stayed there for a long time through crash, depression, and tercentenary. Some of the top names graced the hall as each spring the lowly Yardlings let loose before finals.

It took a war to get the Freshmen out of the Yard and the Jubilee went with it. Old war-torn '46 wracked its brains for a place to put the big dance, until somebody piped up "Mem Hall." Amid the chorus of groans a few visionaries got to work. In spite of its mustry, dusty outlook and its atmosphere of blue books and proctors the place looked really respectable on the big night.

The same approach is being used tonight and over 200 couples are expected to gape and admire. '47's only class function will also be the biggest all-Harvard function this year, but otherwise it remains another good old Jubilee, carrying on a quarter century of tradition