Col. Purdon Now In Command Of All Harvard Army Programs

Infantry Officer Is World War I Veteran

With the recent turnover, in officer personnel subsided, Colonel Francis L. Purdon, Infantry, USA, has moved into the command position for Army units attached to the University, while Major Anthony J. Nogelo, Gavalry, resumes former duties as Executive Officer.

Colonel Purdon, whose appointment from North Dakota placed him in the Military Academy Class of 1900, is a veteran of World War I service, having received his gold leaves one month after reaching France with the 3rd Division.

Student and Teacher

Starting the long line of staff work, the Colonel was soon assigned duty with base and advanced General Headquarters intelligence sections. After returning to the States, he served in a variety of positions, including two tours as an instructor at West Point, two years as Professor of Military Science and Tactics at Syracuse, and two years on the faculty of Fort Benning Infantry School.

A graduate of the Class of 1924 from the Command and General Staff School at Fort Leavenworth, and from the Army War College in 1931, Colonel Purdon was on the War Department General Staff from 1932 to 1936, and following his three year voluntary retirement, he returned to active duty in January, 1941, with the Inspector General's Department of the 1st Service Command.

Boston Duty Most Recent

From March, 1942, until last October, the Colonel was with the 1st Service Command General Staff, from which he returned to the earlier local position before reporting to his present command.

Many and varied are the units under Colonel Purdon's military control, for he is Commandant of Army Training Schools--Soil Control, Chaplain's Corps, and Air Forces Statistical--as well as Commanding Officer of the ASTP program her and Professor of Military Science and Tactics.