Crimson Crews Will Race Favored Tech Aggregation

Tomorrow's Regatta Only One of Season

Three Harvard eights will take to the Charles tomorrow afternoon, facing a formidable and a favored M. I. T. combination in their only race this crew season. Despite several encouraging time trails last week, Coach Bert Haines holds out slim hope for a Crimson victory in any of tomorrow's three events.

The Crimson's main handicap will be a lack of conditioning. Because the H.A.A. was late in getting the floats down and in opening Weld this year, the Engineers have had well over a month's more rowing on the river than Haines' three boats. Also because of the pressure of labs and Navy requirements, Harvard eights have not been able to put in even an hour's practice any day since the season started this spring.

Third Race This Season for Tech

Also on the credit side of the ledger for the Gray Sweepswingers is the experience they gained from rowing two normal races this spring. In addition the bating of most of last year's varsity veterans, retained because the Services have not depleted Tech ranks as heavily as they have those of the Crimson, will count for M. I. T. In the Annapolis regatta Tech finished second in a dead heat with Navy, the undisputed champion crew season, but in the Cornell race lost of a length to Navy on a two mile course.

Starting Times

The 150's and the Junior Varsity will race two Tech boats apiece in their races mile the Varsity will race the M. I. T. varsity alone. The starting times for tomorrow afternoon's race are: the 150's at 4 o'clock, the Junior Varsity at 4:30 and the featured Varsity event at 5 o'clock. All the races are for the Henley distance of a mile and five-sixteenths, starting just below the Tech boathouse and finishing about a half-mile short of the subway bridge.

Both the Junior Varsity stroked by John Chandler '47 and the 150's stroked by Bill Allen '47, have undergone several changes in the last two weeks which considerably weakened both boats. Although the Jayvees have worked back into form since the shits, the 150's are still suffering from the losses.

University crews:

Varsity: Stroke, J. E. Thayer V-12; 7, J. R. Hunneman V-12; 6, R. K. Funkhouser '47; 5, K. B. McAfee V-12; 4, N. Vick '46; 3, T. A. Haymond '47; 2, J. D. Kettelle V-12; bow, W. S. Stiles V-12; cox, D. P. S. Paul 46.

Junior Varsity: Stroke, J. P. Chandler '47; 7, D. G. Smyth V-12; 6, D. McCollester '47; 5, R. B. Perkins NROTC; 4, E. Gordy '46; 3, R. W. Locke '47; 2, E. L. Parker V-12; bow, N. R. Ayer '47; Cox, 5, W. Amory NROTC 4, S. D. Moot V-12; 3, H. S. Morgan NROTC; 2. J. M. Conant '47; bow, R. T. Edmunds V-12 cox, R. J. Ward '46.

Varsity 150's: Stroke, W. B. Allen V-12; 7, G. B. Elliot V-12 6, T. D. Steele V-12