University Appoints Perkins Regional Planning Professor

City Problems Seen By School of Design

G. Holmes Perkins '26, of the National Housing Administration, has been appointed as Charles Dyer Norton Professor of Regional Planning, Dean Hudnut of the School of Design announced today. This is the first step in the expansion of regional planning instruction here to prepare for postwar problems.

"The appointment signalizes the renewal of a vigorous program in city planning in anticipation of enormous postwar needs in this field," Dean Hudnut said. "We are correlating in our program all the factors involved in urban problems, including the various economic, social, and physical conditions embodied in city life. After the war, city and regional planning will be a more important subject than ever before."

Dean Hudnut was one of the judges who selected the winners of the recent contest for a plan for a better postwar Boston. This new expansion in instruction will focus its attention mainly upon the architectural improvements that are needed not only by Boston, but by many other cities.

Professor Perkins, in succeeding Professor Henry V. Hubbard '97, who became Emeritus in 1941, ends a leave of absence from his post as associate professor of Architecture since Pearl Harbor.

In his work in the Bureau of Urban Studies of the National Housing Administration in Washington, he has analyzed civic problems in many cities in preparation for the location of housing projects. He has designed many Boston buildings and written extensively on architecture.