Yale to Resume Two Term Schedule in '46

Eli Leads Big Three In Postwar Planning

With its announcement yesterday of a return to a normal two term year in September of 1946, Yale University became the first of the big three to set a definite date for its resumption of a peace-time schedule. William C. DeVane, dean of the college, predicted to the SERVICE NEWS that by July of this year, service personnel at New Haven will have dwindled to less than 800 and that with gradually increasing civilian enrollment Yale would be able to launch its reconversion program in another year.

At present, the college's connection with the Navy V-12 and Marine programs requires a schedule of three 16 week terms a year. Summer of 1946 will see an eight or nine week summer term at Yale, followed by the return to a two term year late in September. 1947 will also very likely bring with it another short summer term, said DeVane.

Uniforms Dominate Campus

The make-up of the Yale student body is similar in most respects to the situation in Cambridge. As in the Yard, Navy men dominate the New Haven campus with 1,100 service men now stationed there for Navy V-12 or Marine college training. In addition, Yale conducts several special schools for the Army. Civilian enrollment includes approximately 500 freshmen and 350 upperclassmen, most of whom are either below draft age or have been classified 4F.

Princeton Statement Vague

Less explicit was the statement issued by Robert K. Root, dean of the Princeton faculty, early in November. Expressing his college's eagerness at that time to revert to its prewar calendar, he said only that such a move would be taken as soon as the end of the Navy V-12 unit made conformity to a Navy schedule no longer necessary. Thus Yale is the only member of the big three to have released a concrete reconversion program.

Princeton's eventual plan, as outlined by Root, will be almost identical to that at Yale. Two 17 week terms will commence around the middle of September and will continue, with a two week Christmas and one week spring recess, until July.