Bulldog, Bulldog, Bow-wow, Eli Yale On Psychological Upswing For Final Game

Defeat of Princeton Whets Blue Appetite

Coach Howie Odell's eleven will come into the Bowl tomorrow at its mental, if not physical, peak for the 1945 season. Their hopes for a successful Ivy League record blasted by a tremendous upset at the hands of Brown three weeks ago, the Elis came back in the second half of last week's Princeton game to gain a leg of the Big Three championship and begin a psychological upswing that will make them a tough team to beat at New Haven tomorrow afternoon.

Not even a last-minute injury to fullback Tommy Scannell and the continued inactivity of tackle Nick Fusilier have seemed to dampen the Yale squad, which will meet a Crimson eleven that hit its peak in the Brown game two weeks ago and has not had a chance to show itself again since then.

Walker on Deck

One very important factor in Yale's showing will probably be the return of end, captain, and erstwhile All-American Paul Walker, whose playing abilities are not his only contribution to the team. His presence in Palmer Stadium last week pulled the Elis out of the doldrums that allowed two Princeton scores before five minutes of the first period had passed and molded them into a hard-hitting unit--effective if not spectacular.

Odell is taking no chances on the Crimson's vaunted aerial offensive, in spite of the fact that his team has throttled completely the passing attacks of its last two opponents. Relying partially on a shuttle system that has paid off heavily in recent contests, Odell will use backs Art Fitzgerald and Frank LeNezzo for deep defensive work, though with Scannell out he may have to rely on them for some offensive play too.

Dakos Sensation

Keystone of the Elis' attack, which has produced the astounding total of 138 first downs in the season to date, is 17-year-old Art Dakos, quarterback and passing sensation from Lowell, with Bill Penn, light-footed halfback, supplying the break-away runs. Walker does most of the kicking, and effectively enough to add one more item to the Eli offensive punch.

Incidentally--the Yale squad is gunning for tomorrow's contest in honor of Coach Odell. It's his birthday.