Mass. State Rep. Calls on University VP to Increase Transparency for Allston Multimodal Project

Harvard President Lawrence Bacow Made $1.1 Million in 2020, Financial Disclosures Show

Harvard Executive Vice President Katie Lapp To Step Down

81 Republican Lawmakers File Amicus Brief Supporting SFFA in Harvard Affirmative Action Lawsuit

Duke Senior’s Commencement Speech Appears to Plagiarize 2014 Address by Harvard Student

Clark, Line Coach of 1941's 'Seven Blocks of Granite,' to Assist Harlow

Returns After Three Years As Instructor in the Navy

Lieutenant Commander Lyal W. Clark, known to local football fans as the coach who turned out Chub Peabody et al., returned to Dick Harlow's staff yesterday as a general assistant and trouble-shooter for the balance of the season.

Clark entered the Navy in February, 1943 as a lieutenant and has been coaching swimming and football since. He has been stationed at Chapel Hill, N.C., Lakehurst, N.J., and Corpus Christi, Tex, as an instructor in Physical Education.

The forty-one year old mentor graduated from Western Maryland in 1930 and served as Harlow's assistant there before being called to coach the Delaware football team. He came here in 1938 to win considerable renown as line coach of the Crimson version of the seven blocks of granite in 1941.

Clark's return brings Harvard's football coaching staff virtually up to pre-war standards. For the first time since the fall of '42, Dick Harlow, Al McCoy, Floyd Stahl, Henry Lamar, and Lyle Clark are together again.