Vinson Bill, Waiting President's OK, To Consolidate V-12, NROTC Units

Revised Program Calls for Increase in NROTC Colleges

Of vital interest to all V-12 men now in training and of great significance for higher education is the Vinson Bill (H.R. 621), which is now awaiting official sanction by the President.

The bill proposes to amend the Naval Reserve Act of 1925 so as to increase the total personnel of the NROTC from 7,200 to 24,000 until one year after cessation of hostilities, at which time the number will be gradually decreased to 14,000.

V-12-NROTC Merger Foreseen

Indicating a cutback of the V-12 program, the Senate naval Affairs Committee Report states, "At the present time there are 131 undergraduate colleges in the V-12 program with a total enrollment of approximately 50,000 students. On July 1, 1945, it is expected that there will be not more than a total of 30,000 students and that this number will be reduced considerably thereafter. The committee was informed that no more students will be enrolled in the Navy V-12 program and that it is the intention of the Navy Department to reduce and finally eliminate the V-12 program and consolidate it with the NROTC unit."

While full details concerning the expansion of the NROTC are still vague, it is probable that the Navy will continue to use the facilities of the 27 institutions now maintaining NROTC units, and add 23 other college and universities, bringing the total number of NROTC institutions up to 50.

The institutions which will receive new units will be designated by the Secretary of Navy after consultation with a board of civilian educators.