Plans for Harvard Square Revision Remain Undecided, Gropius Reports

Declares City Manager Is Not Cooperating with Him

No reports on the solutions offered by the students of the School for Architecture to the Harvard Square traffic problem will be available until May 20, Walter Gropius, professor of Architecture, announced yesterday. At that time a jury would decide on each case whether the solution to the problem, one of four needed for a degree, is passing or failing.

Professor Gropius added his doubts to those of his colleagues, George H. Perkins '26, Charles Dyer Norton Professor of Regional Planning and Chairman of the Department of Regional Planning, and Martin Wagner, associate professor of Regional Planning, and said he thought the School for Architecture and John B. Atkinson, city manager of Cambridge, were not working toward the same object.

"I know what Mr. Atkinson would do with our plans," declared Professor Gropius, he would throw them in the wastebasket. Most of his plans and those of the regional planning board intend merely to modify that ugly box in the middle of the Square but the only hope for solution is by a complete rebuilding of the Square. As it stands now, Harvard Square is one of the worst in the country."

With the present gap in opinion between the idealistic architect and the dollars and cents city officials, the solution to the traffic jam seems far off.