Roosevelt--

loss which will be shared by every American and mourned by all freedom loving people of the world."

When pressed for comment, Senator Leverett Saltonstall of Massachusetts stated, "He died a true soldier, fighting in his country's cause. His administration will go down as one of the most momentous in the life of our country."

Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia of New York wired Mrs. Roosevelt, "It is the greatest loss the peace-loving people of the world have suffered in the entire war. The shock is so great that it is extremely difficult for any one to realize fully what has happened. There is only one thing we can do to pay adequate tribute to this war casualty-unite in carrying out his ideals for world justice and permanent peace."

President Roosevelt was the seventh president to die in office. Abraham Lincoln, James Garfield and William McKinley were assassinated, while William Harrison, Warren Harding and Zachary Taylor died of natural causes.

Witnesses at the inauguration of President Truman included the Secretaries of State, Commerce, War, the Navy, the Treasury, Labor, the Interior, and Agriculture, in addition to Admiral King, Admiral Leahy, Fred M. Vinson, Senator Rayburn, House Majority Leader McCormack, and Minority Leader Martin.

Kenneth D. McKellar, President Pro Tem of the Senate, will become President of the Senate. Physicians who attended the President were identified as Dr. James Paullin of Atlanta and Dr. Howard Bruen.