Law School Entrance To Spurt in Fall Term

150 to 200 Men Will Enter, Landis States

With unofficial estimates placing College enrollment in the fall at 1,000, less than one-third the peacetime level, Dean James M. Landis this week predicted seven to ten-fold increase over the war period in admissions to the Law School next month.

While only about 20 men entered the Law School each month during the war, and total enrollment fell below 100, from 150 to 200, "maybe even more," are expected to enter in the fall term. By spring, the School's enrollment will climb to 400 or 500, said Dean Landis, and for some time after that the figure will soar above the 1200 to 1300 peacetime norm. No permanent expansion in the size of the Law School is expected, however, Dean Landis stated.

Casnor Back

Faculty members are expected to stream back shortly, though A. James Casner, professor of Law, is the only major figure to return so far. Professor Casner, who headed the University's War Service Bureau before he entered the service, was awarded the Legion of Merit while on overseas duty as a colonel in the Air Corps.

Sheldon Glueck, professor of Criminology, is overseas serving with the War Crimes Commission, Dean Landis disclosed.

Air Law Course Continues

The third year Air Law course which Dean Landis is now giving will be continued as a permanent course, and while similar instruction has been given at Northwestern and New York University, Harvard is pioneering in Air Law work. "The Air Law course," Dean Landis commented, "has an advantage over railroad and truck law courses in that it presents novel cases in the utility field and extends into the international picture."

No expansion is expected in the housing facilities of the Law School, though Perkins Hall may be reopened.