Parictal Injustice

Mutterings of dissatisfaction are being heard from the direction of the Yard. They should not be regarded lightly. Students have returned to find themselves confronted with certain parietal regulations which are as anachronistic as they are unfair. It is when they look in the direction of their more favored colleagues in the Houses that the absurdity of their situation is brought out in boldface.

Rule 39 of "Regulations for Students in Harvard College," chief cause of this simmering discontent, states: "For University buildings other than Houses, permission (for the reception of women) must be obtained from the Proctor or the Dean's Office and will be granted only when chaperons are to be present". This makes necessary the presence of two male chaperons for a student and his female guest, as well as a fifth person acting as chaperon if two couples are in a room--all this or the wrath of the Proctor and the University.

The parietal rules producing these mortifying effects on the Yard residents were instituted many years ago when the entire population of the dormitories was then composed of Freshmen of tender ages. At the same time the residents of the Houses were permitted a vast amount of freedom in the enforcement of these same rules, on the basis of their status and age as upperclassmen. Now, the situation, though far from being reversed, is not comparable. Many hundreds of Freshmen, all veterans it is claimed, reside in the Houses. And in the Yard dormitories, once exclusively Freshman domain, are scores of upperclassmen. The parietal rules apply, not on the basis of men's understanding, capabilities, or trustworthiness, but on the location of their living quarters. In this changed era, the rules should be altered to meet a new condition.