Union Appetizer

Freshmen now move through the Harvard Union lines with maximum speed and minimum waits, but they still have ample time to enjoy the appetizing side-show put on by students dumping trays on the way out. With rare insight into the psychology of hunger, the Union management has arranged for trays to be dumped under the noses of incoming lines, and the gradually growing piles of half-consumed food made slushy by left-over gravy is a pre-meal feature wondrous to behold.

This fruit fly's paradise is as unnecessary as it is unpleasant. In the Houses trash is not emptied on a large metal receptacle for the benefit of all on-lookers, but the trays are piled up, carried to the kitchen, and emptied there in private by the help. An alternate to this system would be to provide one exit for all Union diners, who would dump their trays on a table separated by a screen from incoming lines. This could be done by having the line coming in through the Quincy Street entrance go along the food tables in the opposite direction to the one traveled now, while all students leave via Quincy Street, using the present dumping grounds.

Although the House system of piling trays would be inconvenient owing to the Union's physical set-up and a rearrangement of lines might cause temporary complications, neither system is so difficult as to be impractical. One of them should be adopted quickly so that piles of garbage cease to go up and Freshman appetites down.