Crimson Downed By Ram Harriers In Contest Here

Connecticut Takes Second Place In Damp 4.25 Mile Meet

Snowed under by one of the hottest cross country team in the East, the Crimson harriers went down to defeat by Rhode Island State and Connecticut in their second effort of the season in Franklin Park yesterday afternoon.

Before either of its two competitors tallied the Rams sent six men across the finish line for a perfect score of 15. Connecticut and the Mikkolamen put in a close race for second place, but the Huskies brought home the bacon with a score of 57 to the Crimson's 62. In the Jayvee race the harriers pulled in with a strong second, scoring 36 to Rhode Island's 21.

Rhode Island powerhouse winner, Robert Black, bettered the time set in last week's pentagonal by Ted Vogel with a flashing 21:18.8 on the 4.25 mile course.

Sets Record

First Crimson harrier to cross the line was Frank Gurley, who placed eight with a time of 24:08. He was followed by last week's team leader, Huna Rosenfeld and John Cogan in the 11 and 12 spots.

Following the meet, and in anticipation of the Dartmouth contest next week, the team elected Gurley as 1946 captain and Joe Leeming to leading the Yardling squad.

Natural-born Runner

Gurley, a natural born runner, is a tall husky redhead from Newton who has no high school experience in either track or cross country and who ran for only a few brief weeks in the fall of 1943 before he went into the army. As far as could be determined, his election sets some sort of a record in Varsity sports--although he is in the class of '47, he is only a second term Freshman, a fact which augurs well for future of cross country.