Crimson Footwork Wins as Knight Fails to Spur on 'Old Gray Mare'

By William S. Fairfield

Soldiers Field Saturday afternoon was marked by hard running, rugged blocking, decisive tackling, and chalk every five yards. All seriousness aside though, those Harvards really went out there and showed "Ox" DaGrosa's Holy Cross "where the geeses goes barefoot."

* * * * *

Dick Harlow deserves as much credit for this one as any member of the squad. The wizard of Soldiers Field not only employed eight defenses to befuddle Purple blockers; but it was he also who, after thoroughly accustomizing the Crusaders to L formation power plays, suddenly, at the start of the second half, shifted to the T formation, thus enabling the Crimson to rack up the winning tally.

* * * * *

Most amazing comment on the game came from a band of Crusaders quaffing in a local bar after it was all over: "We aren't sorry the Cross lost; they played a great game and we're proud of them. After all, they were up against the twentieth best team in the country."

* * * * *

The Eliot House inebriates were in the cheering section as usual with their red garbage-can full of "Oh-be joyful-water." I hesitate to say that thy didn't know their seats from page 12 of the program, but by the end of the third quarter, due to the proximity of crimson and purple in the kaloidoscope, they were heard cheering in a most astounding fashion for Holy Cross.

* * * * *

One eager Crimson rooter found himself seated next to a sweet young thing of no mean pulchritude, whom he proceeded to nudge and make growling noises at throughout the first half. Between halves, after she had made the customary trip to that partitioned section under the stadium know to Harvard students of old as "never-never land," she had a short confab with the usher.

As soon as the second half started, and with it the activities of the rooter, the aforementioned usher rushed up and threw the rooter out. Personally, as far as I'm concerned, a football game is a football game; and, if I ever find that usher, I'll sue him for the sprained back I received in the fall.