Kilty Initiates Veterans' Workshop With Plans for Gerhardi Premiere

Criminologist Glueck Offers Musical Comedy on Atom Bomb for Second Production of Ex-G.I.'s; Briffault Translation of Jean Paul Sartre's "Huis Clos" May Be Presented

Recruiting talent from the College, Radcliffe, and the graduate schools, an all ex-G.I. theatre workshop has sprung to life under the impetus of Jerome A. Kilty '49, Twenty-five veterans, all experienced in the theatre, have thus far joined the workshop, and eight of Radcliffe's 42 ex-servicewomen have been interviewed.

First production of the new group will be the world premier of "I Was a King in Babylon," a satire on reincarnation by William Gerhardi, one of England's foremost dramatists. The play has been scheduled for a professional London debut this winter and a New York showing in the spring.

Criminologist Writes Play

Co-author of the second offering, a musical comedy on the atom bomb, is Sheldon Glueck, professor of Criminal Law and Criminalology at the Law School. Glueck sired the book and lyrics, while William Hughes, student of international law at the University of Chicago, fathered the music.

The group also has rights to Robert Briffault's translation of existentialist Jean Paul Sartre's "Huis Clos." The three-character play was put on in London last season under the title "The Vicious Circle" and met with wide acclaim.

Housed temporarily in the Christ Church theatre, the organization hopes to use either Sanders Theatre or Brattle Hall for actual performances, and arrangements have been made with the Tributary Theatre in Boston for the use of sets and costumes.

Kilty, who will direct the "King in Babylon," spend six months at the close of his five year Air Force career in the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art in London and another three months studying at the Guild Hall School of Drama.