Residents of Stoughton, Hollis May Get More Living Space on Application to Housing Office

First signs of relief from the critical housing shortage problem which has plagued University officials since the fall registration became evident yesterday in an announcement by the Freshman Housing office. The notice stated that in Stoughton and Hollis halls where "doubing up" caused the greatest hardship, the Yardlings would be allowed to file new room applications on the basis of two-to-a-room.

The new policy means those freshmen who are now one of the three occupants in a room in the above halls may notify the Freshman Housing office at 28 Weld Hall in writing, beginning Monday, of any new arrangements which they wish to make. The Housing office emphasized that only applications received from Stoughton and Hollis residents would be accepted.

Following notification from the Housing office that their applications have been accepted and the new assignments made, students will be required to report to the Bursar's office to sign new contracts. In most cases the arrangement will entail an increase in room rents ranging from ten to twenty dollars per man per term. It was also emphasized that the new arrangements must be suitable to all concerned.

The Housing office bulletin marked the first indication from University officials that some relief from the present crowded conditions might be expected. However, out of the 200 or more students who were quartered on the top floor of the Indoor Athletic Building at the time of the fall registration, there are still a few men who have not been assigned space in the Yard or in the Houses.