16 Members of Band On Strike in Protest of Dues and Assessments

Mysterious gaps that appeared in the University Band's pre-game drill rehearsal last Saturday were accounted for last night by the irate resignation of at least 16 of the members. Touching off the walkout, it appeared from the statements of several of the musicians was the announcement of a five dollar dues fee at last Wednesday's reharsal which will be required from each man unless a large donation comes through from an anonymous benefactor.

The sum seemed exorbitant to many, coming on top of a 316 charge per man for the new band coats to be distributed, even though half of this cost is refunded at the end of the season if the uniform is returned undamaged. Strongly resented also is the $3.50 fine deposit demanded from everyone, which is reduced 50 cents for every rehearsal missed.

One individual also found cause for complaint in the heavy practice schedule demanding six hours a week, for which only one athletic credit a week is given. Bandsmen rehearse two hours Wednesday evenings, two hours Friday evenings, and must report at 12 o'clock Saturday, on the day a game, for final field manuvers.

"Meagre, to the say the very least," is the way he described the compensations: These was fee trips to Princeton and Dartmouth, free admission to all games perforce, and the "privilege" of buying a guest ticket at the regular admission price marked "band."