Lazzaro Stars in Practice Session, Goes to Tailback

Varsity Rebounds from Loss To Rutgers in 21 to 7 Win Over Dartmouth at Hanover

By Irvin M. Horowitz

After a sparkling performance in scrimmage, Paul Lazzaro, reserve wingback, was moved to tall back yesterday by Coach Dick Harlow, as the Crimson Varsity opened preparations for its meeting with Brown next Saturday.

Hidden behind Chip Gannon and Ken O'Donnell as third-string wingback all season, Lazzaro has had little chance to show his running ability, which is considerable, in game competition. With Leo Flynn and Pete Petrillo doubtful performers against Brown because of injuries, Harlow decided to move Lazzaro to the tailback post to provide insurance for Captain Cleo O'Donnell.

Outlook Brightens

It was a cheery practice session yesterday despite the inclement weather, because the Varsity had bounced back solidly form its Rutgers defeat with a 21 to 7 victory over Dartmouth at Hanover. After two scores in the first nine minutes of play, including a 57-yard off tackle slant by Gannon behind perfect blocking, the Crimson was forced back on its heels by the Indian passing attack as directed by Con Pensavalie, but returned to form in the final period to score a third touchdown and cut off all further Dartmouth bids by six skillful interceptions.

Gannon had the best of his many good days on Saturday, scoring once, passing to Wally Flynn (who had his best day of the season, as well) for another touchdown, and intercepting three passes on the defense.

Other Crimson stars, as singled out by Harlow after the game, were Nick Rodis and Jim Feinberg, whose play at guard was excellent, and the ubiquitous Jack Fisher, whose performance as backer-up was outstanding.

Minor injuries will preclude contact work this week for a number of Crimson regulars, including Cleo O'Donnell, Walt Coulson, Wally Flynn, Emil Drvaric and Ed Davis, but all are expected to be ready by Saturday. The status of Petrillo and Leo Flynn is less reassuring, however, and their availability against the Bruins will not be known with certainty until later in the week.