Puritans, Dudley Gridders Sputter TO Scoreless Tie

Winthrop snapped out of its doldrums defensively yesterday by holding a threatening Dudley eleven to a 0 to 0 tie in the only scheduled intramural football game. For the first time this season, the improved Puritans, although once again unable to score, kept themselves out of the loss column.

It was Dudley's ball game nearly all the way however, as Winthrop entered the Commuter's territory only once, on the strength of Steven's prodigious punting. In the first half, the Dudleyites, sparked by the running of "Whit" Whittemore, to the Puritan 25.

Staving off the Dudley ground attack, the Puritans forced their opponents to try the air. Bill Allen ended the Commuters threat by intercepting an aerial and running it out to the 20 yard stripe.

Interceptions Mark End

In the third period, the Dudleyites recovered a fumble on the Puritan 25; but the Winthrop defense tightened and Dudley lost the ball on downs. Busalacchi crashed through to block the Winthrop fourth-down kick and once more Dudley was given a life on the Puritan 11. A penalty and alert Winthrop line play prevented a score and the game wound up with an exchange of pass interceptions in the deepening gloom.

Kirkland will take on what may prove t be its most severe test in the house football campaign this afternoon when it tangles with second-place Leverett.

Already in the home-stretch, the Hosue gridmen will finish their regular season play early next week with Dunster_Lowell and Dudley-Eliot scheduled for Monday and Yard-Winthrop and Kirkland-Adams for Tuesday. In outside contests, the Yard will face Calvin Coolidge Junior College tomorrow morning and the House will meet Yale Colleges next Friday.

The lineups: Winthrop: le, Lyne; lt, White; lg, Duccan; c, Ways; rg, Dolge, Hesse; rt, Ober, Wallace; re, Mason; backs, Stevens, Holbrook, Weld, French, Allen, Alolan, Cameron, Wendell, Loring.

Dudley: le, McGrath; lt, Busalacchi; lg, Cooper, Rosenwald; c, Yaffe, Lenihan; rg, Fraser; rt, Strowman, Binder; re, de Vergie; backs, Nahigan, Billings, Nazarian, Whittemore, Coughlin.